Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring Cleaning Seaside Cottage

Seaside Cottage has to be prepared for the summer and as the little people don't get much time for housework I helped with some spring cleaning today.
Set in the 50s/60s this little cottage has been put together a little 'tongue in cheek' and is full of the kinds things I used to see on my holidays as a child.


This chair, made by my old friend Bob, is a copy of a 'bed-chair'. It is fully functional and by removing the bar along the back it drops down to form a bed.
The smokers use the ash tray with 'Mind the Carpet' written on it.
Upstairs in the loft is a child's room. Robert has tidied up.
He has a little fish in a jar and a bird's nest that fell from the roof.
In the kitchen everyone has stopped for something to eat.
Walter has been a long time pouring the sauce onto his breakfast!
Hazel has her favourite seaside canisters and she just loves the chickens serviette holder and cruet set!
No one wants to wash up, even though there are real rubber gloves!
It's time for a new cooker. Hazel wants to re-vamp the cottage but everyone loves it the way it is.
Here she comes to clean the kitchen
Outside there's a fishing rod and basket, a boat, deckchairs and a ball hanging in a string bag.
Someone really needs to repair the broken window, a bird has made a nest inside.
That's the end of the tour of Seaside Cottage.
I've had this little house 20 years. It cost only 15 pounds and I've had a lot of fun putting it together. Some things I don't like and I would do differently - maybe one day, Hazel will get her 'make over'!

16 comments:

  1. it was fun to read your nice describtion , making it a little story! Thanks for sharing!so many cute things in this little house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Guill:
    ¡¡ que bonita casita marinera !!
    ¡¡ esta preciosa !!
    cuantas cositas bonitas hay en ella , me encanta la cocina azul con las teteras del mismo color ¡¡ que bonita !!
    este es sin duda un trabajo extraordinario.
    ¡¡ felicidades guapa !!
    un besito cielo,que tengas un buen dia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una casita ideal para pasar las vacaciones y con unos detalles muy originales. Un saludo, Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely cottage¡It has a perfect old look - I love the stove and the black armchair

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! You've captured the era so well, all the details are just fabulous. Walter has a very far away look in his eye, do you think he's dreaming of the big fish he's going to catch for supper, or perhaps a bikini clad young lass he saw on the beach yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your nice comments. It was a lot of fun to do. Cris, the armchair is actually dark green and it is a nice chair I bought at a fair. I think Walter is wondering whether his underwear is dry yet - they're out in the sun on the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  7. why change? This cottage is so beautiful!
    kisses, Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so cute! I love it! I think the teapot cozy is adorable, as is all the blue kitchenware and string bag. So many great details in all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just loved your cottage, especially the stove and sink. It is just my style. I just finished my first mini quilt using 3/4" hexagons with Civil War repros, but it doesn't hold a candle to your 1/4" hexagons. How did you do it? I used little templates that I basted the seam allowance down before sewing each together.
    Wonderful,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carolyn,
    Yes, I make paper templates first. See my patchwork tutorial, I make the hexagons in the same way. I'm working on one with sides of just over 1/8" but I don't recommend it, it's too small, like sewing little lumps together! I'd love to see a photo of yours with the retro Civil War!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I´ m looking for a gas cooker like yours,where can I find it

    ReplyDelete
  12. My cooker is from Warwick Miniatures. They are now part of Phoenix. This is the link http://www.phoenixmodeldevelopments.com/acatalog/kitchen.html
    You can ask for stockists.
    It comes in kit form and was the first thing I made using Superglue - I got stuck to the cooker! Be careful! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gracia Guillian por la información!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is lovely in here! My parcel has arrived, I am so in love with it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete